“He called all to unity”
Stamped as the first Council of the current self-governing Orthodox Churches since the year of 787 AD, on Sunday, June 19, 2016 a historic gathering of Orthodox Primates opened on the Greek island of Crete, and it is due to end on June 27, 2016.
This Council has been in preparation for fifty-five years. Five months ago all Primates of the fourteen Orthodox Churches met in Chambésy, Geneva, and agreed to convene the Holy and Great Council at this time. However, within days from the opening, the Churches of Antioch, Bulgaria, Georgia and Russia decided not to attend this synod. Russian Orthodox Patriarch Kirill considers the Crete gathering a preparatory session for a synod that will unite all the Churches.
Please visit IPSEC website for live streaming and daily press briefings:
Documents with Unanimous Approval
* The Mission of the Orthodox Church in Today’s World
* The Orthodox Diaspora
* Autonomy and the Means by Which it is Proclaimed
* The Importance of Fasting and Its Observance Today
* Relations of the Orthodox Church with the Rest of the Christian World
Documents without Unanimous Approval
* The Sacrament of Marriage and its Impediments
Regulations and Procedures
* Organization and Working Procedure of the Holy and Great Council of the Orthodox Church